Complete Story


Pest Sensitive Individuals, What you Need to Know

As many of you know, on October 17, 2019, the Maryland Department of Agriculture adopted amendments to Regulation .17 under COMAR 15.05.01 Use and Sale of Pesticides, Certification of Pesticide Applicators and Pest Control Consultants, and Licensing of Pesticide Businesses.

This action, which was proposed for adoption in 46:16 Md. R. 679—716 (August 2, 2019), has been adopted as proposed and took effect November 18, 2019.

What does this mean?

This amendment requires prior notification procedures for residential mosquito control by pesticide applicators certified in the public health category (8) to follow notification requirements for pesticide sensitive persons registered with the Maryland Department of Agriculture.

What are the notification requirements?

Take a look at the section concerning pesticide sensitive individuals, taken directly from

Requirements of Licensee or Permittee. Before making a pesticide application to a property contiguous or adjacent to the property of a registered individual, a licensee or permittee shall notify the person registered with the Department:

(1) By telephone the day before, or the morning of, a planned pesticide application; or

(2) In-person, or by a written notice delivered to the residence of the registered individual, before the pesticide is applied to a contiguous or adjacent property.

Read the full section by clicking here.

Next Steps

Obtain a list - If you would like to obtain a copy of the list of the individuals on the registry please call the Maryland Department of Agriculture at (410) 841-5710. There are 130+ individuals in Maryland on the list. Please reach out to the Maryland Department of Agriculture directly with any questions about the list.

Notify your collogues – Feel free to email a link to this article, print and distribute or share this article on social media.


Failing to follow this new amendment could result in a civil penalty or suspension, revocation, or denial of any license, certificate, permit, or registered employee identification card (

Printer-Friendly Version